Puget Sound Navy Museum

The Puget Sound Navy Museum collects, preserves, and interprets the naval heritage of the Pacific Northwest for the benefit of the U.S. Navy and general public.

New Exhibit and Classroom Now OPEN!

The U.S. Navy built Building 50 on the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in 1896.

Puget Sound Navy Museum

The Puget Sound Navy Museum is one of ten museums funded and administered by the U.S. Navy. With the Naval Undersea Museum (NUM) in Keyport, WA, it forms Navy Museums Northwest (NMNW). NMNW is a unit of the Naval History and Heritage Command with headquarters in Washington, D.C.

The Museum began operation as a not-for-profit on December 3, 1954. Named the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Museum, it was established by the U.S. Navy. Puget Sound Naval Shipyard employees provided staff for the Museum.

In 1964, the Museum found a new home the Washington State Ferry Terminal’s lobby. The City of Bremerton accepted custody of the Museum’s collection, and the Kitsap County Historical Society agreed to staff the Museum. The Museum reopened in 1967 as the Naval Shipyard Museum and operated there until 1986 when the Terminal was demolished.

Location

251 1st St, Bremerton, WA 98337, USA