cheney stadium tacoma

Tacoma's new Cheney Stadium hosts first baseball game on April 16, 1960

Cheney Stadium has served as the heart of Central Tacoma

Cheney Stadium has been the home of Tacoma's Pacific Coast League baseball club

Cheney Stadium hosts its first baseball game

On April 16, 1960, the new Cheney Stadium hosts its first baseball game as the Tacoma Giants play their first home game. The new stadium replaces Cheney Field, which was purchased for the city of Tacoma by local businessman Ben Cheney in 1952. Heavy rains turn the playing field into a quagmire and Fort Lewis helicopters are used to help dry it out. The Giants split a double header with the Portland Beavers.

1960-1965 Tacoma Giants

The first team to play at brand-new Cheney Stadium, the Giants marked the return of Pacific Coast League baseball to Tacoma (Tacoma had a PCL entry in 1904 and half of 1905).
Future Hall of Famer Juan Marichal pitched a shutout in the first Giants win at Cheney Stadium, but it was the 1961 Giants who brought the first championship to the city. Gaylord Perry, Ron Herbel, and Eddie Fisher fronted an outstanding starting rotation as the club went 97-57 under manager Red Davis. Bob Perry hit 22 home runs, and Dick Phillips won the only Most Valuable Player award claimed by a Tacoma player.

Location

2502 S Tyler St, Tacoma, WA 98405, USA